Good visuals excite me.
The beauty of nature mesmerizes me.
Memories of Pakistan nostalgia-te me.
Position of women worries me.
Chauvinists exasperate me.
Preachers of false dogmas enrage me.
Terrorism sickens me.
Extremists frustrate me.
Moral policing infuriates me.
The lost community baffles me.
Racism saddens me.
Political bastards need to get a life!

.
.
.
.
.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Western Feminists to the Rescue?

I just read an article by a Western Feminist who feels the urge to help out the veiled femininity in peril.

So can the Western Feminists help the Muslim women get out of their four-walls and raise their status?

Yes, they can. And those who ask them to mind their own business, I humbly ask them to please Shut Up! I do want to add here though, those Western Feminists who think their interference/help should be to the extent where they can effect a country's law, that's just arrogant and nosy.

So how can she be of help? It's easy. Instead of trying to become the hero or the leader of the gang, or simply trying to make sure that their name stands out, they should rather focus on becoming a strong support system for those local organizations or individual efforts, who are already trying to make a difference. If there is injustice, it's not possible to find no voices. Just knowing there is outside help available makes a whole lot of difference, and induces strength in a group. The WF should try to support these women in whatever cause they are struggling towards - help them find resources, help them organize, help them channel their voice ... that's what they need. They don't need to be told what to do, but instead, how to do it; they can learn from someone else's experience.

There is no harm in accepting help, as long as it is for a good cause. Neither should the Muslim women feel offended by such an offer, nor should the Western Feminists look at this as a way to help them feel important. It's a sensitive issue that they are dealing with - one that should be fought with sincerity and unselfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails