Good visuals excite me.
The beauty of nature mesmerizes me.
Memories of Pakistan nostalgia-te me.
Position of women worries me.
Chauvinists exasperate me.
Preachers of false dogmas enrage me.
Terrorism sickens me.
Extremists frustrate me.
Moral policing infuriates me.
The lost community baffles me.
Racism saddens me.
Political bastards need to get a life!

.
.
.
.
.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mukhtara Mai, Strong Example of a Rape Victim Who Fought Through?















That's a nice picture of her. Eyes look like they have a long, harsh story to tell, while the face seems serene.

We've all heard of Mukhatara Mai,or rather Mukhtara Bibi. Mai is basically an old hag, while bibi is still a respectable term to refer to a woman with. Even Hillary Clinton wanted a picture with her. If not, go back to the news of 2002, where she was sentenced to be raped as a result of an offense her brother committed. Charming! Later it turned out that the brother wasn't at fault, he was being pinned down by some elderly and powerful of the opposition clan. Double charming!

Anyhow, she came out victorious; a surviver! Not many women get to the level she did. An international celebrity. And perfectly deserved too. Sincere applause.

Now we here of the news of her getting married. Here I start to get a bit shaky of the symbol she has become, and how her actions now mean something. The guy has married to is a police officer who was posted for her security, and had been on his act to propose since quite some time, and she'd been constantly refusing. I like it till here. If she doesn't want to get married to someone, no pressure should make her bow to it. And other girls should learn from this.

But Mukhtara has finally agreed to marry the chap. Not because he wooed her heart with his constant love declarations, but because the chap's first wife and kid came to beg Mukhtara's parents to have their daughter marry her husband, who had tried to commit suicide by gobbling down some tablets because of the constant rejection. That is serious twisted.

I can't find myself agreeing to this. Why did she bend to this pressure? If she didn't want it, she should've stuck with her decision. If it endangered the other woman's life and family, she should've helped her. If that policeman wanted to do something silly that jeopardised his wife and kid's future, that it utterly unforgivable, and no one else should have to suffer it's consequences.

Now she lives villages apart from her husband, because she doesn't want to relocate, and finds it convenient. The policeman lives with his first wive, and comes to Mukhtara when he feels like it. What kind of marriage is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails